NTM Northwest Support

A Pacific Northwest support group for sufferers of Nontuberculous Mycobacterial (NTM) Infections and Bronchiectasis

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-24 10:55:32

basey.k

Nebulizer Recommendation(s)?

Howdy Everyone -

I hope this finds you all enjoying Autumn where you are...

In preparation for the dreaded flu/cold/illness season, I am shopping around for a nebulizer.

Does anyone have a nebulizer that they just LOVE? Hahahaha. Or that they would recommend to others?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter!

Basey
in Bend

#2 2016-09-24 11:36:37

CynthiaF
Support Group Chair

Re: Nebulizer Recommendation(s)?

Lovely weather here the week before the equinox, but I can feel the damp creeping in.  I plan to nebulize saline religiously all fall and hope that will keep my exacerbations at bay. 

The little nebulizer I am currently using is by Medquip and I bought it online.
Drive Medical Compact Compressor Nebulizer with Reusable and Disposable Neb Kit
from Expressmed
The Compact Compressor Nebulizer features dishwasher safe NebJet Nebulizers designed to enhance patient treatments while effectively reducing treatment times. These lightweight ...more »
$34.69
+$9.75 shipping. No tax

Don't buy the cheaper versions listed with just a disposable Neb Kit because you need to get re-usable one that you can clean and use over and over.

#3 2016-09-30 15:11:11

Nancyr
Administrator

Basey, I have a nebulizer "SOMEWHERE" that I haven't used yet, but am searching for because I too intend to start using during cold and flu season.  Once I find it I will let you know the particulars.  I believe I purchased it via Amazon.com a few months ago.  But since I am in the middle of a move from Seattle to eastern WA, my belongings are disorganized. I look forward to hearing other responses from people in the group.  I smiled when I read your note -- wouldn't it be nice to just LOVE your nebulizer!!   But I know that using a nebulizer can be important, so look forward to figuring it out.    Good luck!   Nancy in Seattle (at the moment)

#4 2016-10-08 13:29:24

kellyww

Mine came from the local Medical Supply Company, as it was through insurance - probably in 2009...it seems to work good, I think the maker is Devilbiss Health Care, hard to figure out since it's labeled so much with the local med supply company.  It's been used a lot, and keeps going.  I'd be interested if anyone uses/likes/recommends a travel/hand held/no plug in small one...I think that's in my future?? I did a bit of research a year ago, but ended up not needing one, and for the travel I do now, the larger one that plugs in is acceptable.
Kelly

#5 2020-09-15 19:43:58

CynthiaF
Support Group Chair

Wanted to add the travel nebulizer I use called the Trek by Pari.  In addition to regular wall plug-in it has a charger that plugs into your cig lighter in the car.  I use mine to nebulize while I am about a half hour out from Virginia Mason so I can park in hosp lot, do a few reps with my Aerobika in various positions...standing up, passenger seat all the way back on right side, then left side, huff cough and hopefully bring up a good sputum sample to trot into the lab.  My doc is looking for a sample that gives LIVE flora in my lungs.  I have a fairly persistent "opportunistic pathogen" called stenotrophomonas maltophilia that comes and goes.  If I cough up a sputum sample at home that bug begins to die almost immediately so it's important for me to have a fresh one.  IF YOU ONLY HAVE MAC it may not matter and you can drag a sample in.  Suggest putting it in a cooler if you have a longish ride to your lab.

It's kind of spendy, maybe $80, but not many good travel devices.  Quite small, goes everywhere with me as I am rigorous in nebulizing every day.  Also handy as an emergency device when you regular table top model poops out on you.

I THINK THERE MAY BE SHORTAGES OF NEBULIZERS BECAUSE of covid long haulers needing them.  So I am going to buy an extra table top model as well as several mouthpieces and winged tubing to have in stock.

Board footer